Two Died – Sunday Igboho Speaks Over Attack On His Residence, Afinefere Demands Arrest Of Attackers

0 0

By Henry Odeh

 

 

 

Two Died – Sunday Igboho Speaks Over Attack On His Residence, Afinefere Demands Arrest Of Attackers

 

 

 

Contrary to reports in some section of the new media quoting different number of casualties in the Thursday morning attack on the private residence of Sunday Adeyemo popularly known as ‘Sunday Igboho’, the Yoruba nation agitator has said that two people were killed.

He alleged that the invaders at his Ibadan residence were from the Department of State Security (DSS) and the Nigerian Army.

Earlier on Thursday morning, reports of attack on Sunday Igboho’s private residence in Ibadan by gunmen alleged to be Officers of the Department of State Security Service (DSS) and men of the Nigerian Army, made the rounds in some section of online news media.

Some of the reports which appeared conflicting indicated five persons while other reports indicated that seven persons were killed in the attack.

The exact number of casualties in the attack which could not be ascertained earlier by newsmen as a result of Igboho’s silence led to speculations based on a viral video of the attack showing destruction of cars and other properties in Igboho’s residence.

Igboho while speaking with British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC pidgin) alleged that the invaders who attacked his home on morning of Thursday 1st of July barely 48 hours to the planned Yoruba nation rally billed to hold in Lagos state were Officers from the Department of State Security (DSS) and men of the Nigerian Army.

According to the the audio file of the interview obtained by Sunrisebulletin Igboho stated that his house was attacked around 1:30am of Thursday 1st of July.

“Around 1:30 a.m., I just heard gunshots in front of my house with the attackers saying ‘all of you come out, we are DSS, we are soldiers.’

“I peeped through the window, saw them in uniforms–DSS uniform and the uniform of the Nigerian Army.

“I was surprised, wondering what the problem was. I never killed anybody, I never fought anybody, what I’m doing is to fight for my people.

“I’m fighting for my family because the Fulani bandits killed my family, raped them, kidnapped them, took ransoms from them.

“Government has refused to do the right thing for my family, that’s why I come out for my people to fight for our right. So, I was surprised,” Igboho stated.

When asked by the BBC on how many people were killed and how many were taken away, Igboho said: “I was in the house this morning when they came. There were two guys that they killed around 2:00 a.m. when shooting was so much.

“They destroyed all my property, all the property that I have. I had about N2 million inside my wardrobe, I can’t find it again.”

However, pan-Yoruba sociopolitical organization, ‘Afenifere’ has said that the news of fatal attack on the residence of Mr. Sunday Adeyemo popularly known as Sunday Igboho in the early hours of Thursday, July 1, 2021 is a sad indicator that Nigeria is fast returning to the era of late Sani Abacha when anyone who expressed opinions contrary to government’s position would be fatally attacked.

Afenifere’s statement was contained in a press release issued on behalf of the Acting Leader of the pan-Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, by the National Publicity Secretary of the body, Comrade Jare Ajayi.

According to Afenifere, the manner of attack indicated culpability on the part of those in authority.

“We are forced into this deduction for a number of reasons. Firstly, eye witness accounts indicated that vehicles and uniforms of the attackers were that of the security agencies. Secondly, the failure of security agencies to confront the attackers further implicated the government. It was reported that the attack lasted for more than three hours.

“Igboho’s residence is in a highly populated area within minutes’ reach to surrounding police stations. That no rescue team came from any of the police units including the DSS office in Ibadan for the several hours that the attack lasted makes it difficult not to believe that the government is complicit in the attack.”

“We recall with sadness how voices that were opposed to the dictatorial tendencies of Abacha regime were under serious attacks.

“We recalled how patriots like General Alani Akinrinade, Pa Abraham Adesanya, Pa Alfred Rewane etc were attacked resulting in the untimely and gruesome murder of Pa Rewane,” the statement said.

Sunrisebulletin earlier reported that Afenifere’s@ press release asserted that government security agencies are now becoming emboldened in violating the rights of the citizens because the previous violations were not checked.

The pan-Yoruba organization asserted further that it was forced to make this deduction because Sunday Igboho is known to be in the forefront of agitations to have a Yoruba nation.

“What is wrong in canvassing for self-determination so long as such agitation is devoid of violence? The constitution the country is running guarantees the right of every Nigerian to express opinion and even carry out rallies as long as such are done without violence.

“To the best of our knowledge, none of the rallies that Sunday Igboho has led in his campaign for a Yoruba nation could be said to be violent nor was he implicated in illegal activities. Why then should he be subjected to the kind of treatment his household received on Thursday morning?”

Afenifere went further to query that “when did it become the norm to go and bombard the house of a suspect in the dastardly manner that armed forces attacked Igboho’s house early this morning?”

The body maintained that a total stop must be put to the unprovoked attack on innocent citizens in the country. “Not only that, we insist that government must immediately apprehend the attackers and make them to face the full wrath of the law.

“Government should also stop any plan to harm Igboho or any other person not known to contravene the law of the land,” the statement concludes.

As at press time, neither the DSS nor the Nigerian Army has reacted or made any statement with regards the allegations.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.