The Fresh 105.9 FM Covid-19 situation room is getting more interesting but I have always warned of turning it into another political campaign; we have to be very careful not to make it a political issue because the aim is to save lives, stop the pandemic and improve on our health infrastructures but what played out on Wednesday, 6th May, 2020 was more like a campaign by frustrated opposition party member. I want to itemize the self-contradictions of Senator Fatai Buhari of Oyo North district and how he has inadvertently dragged himself through the mud. Who am I to critique the interview of such a good legislator if not that he goofed severally on a live interview?
- That Engr Seyi Makinde had “chronic catarrh” not Covid-19:
As much as the distinguished Senator has right to his opinion, some questions come to mind; was the Senator attacking the Governor’s credibility or the NCDC or the existence of Covid-19? Otherwise, how do you justify the alarms he raised about the handling of the case in Oyo State? If it was catarrh, no need for emergency. However, the same testing center accredited by NCDC also confirmed other cases credited to Oyo state; what do we make of the cases of UCH-CMD and other confirmed cases too?
- THAT GSM RECOVERED IN 5 DAYS: The distinguished Senator is unaware of the fact that the counting of days for Covid-19 starts from the day of first positive test to the day of second negative test, each of which is always more than 24hrs apart. Putting that into consideration, it could not have been 5 days as alleged by the Senator. Governor Makinde was on self isolation for more than a week (he confirmed that on same program) before the first test that showed he was positive; it is commonsensical to assume whoever is in self isolation would have started a kind of medication to prevent or cure such dreaded disease and days of isolation are counted as part of treatment days, particularly for such cases of GSM and UCH CMD.
- SENATOR BUHARI WAS IGNORANCE OF GSM ASYMPTOMATIC STATUS: Our dear Senator Buhari, though justifiable locked down in Abuja like many other Federal legislators but in his case, he either refused to get updated with affairs at home or he just didn’t care about GSM’s health status. Well, Governor Makinde was asymptomatic, not even with mild symptoms; he confirmed that a couple of times on live interviews. Covid 19 is a novel disease with 3 categories of infection statuses; Asymptomatic, mild symptoms and full symptoms. Other Issues of consideration in the patients are the viral loads, body immunity level and underlying sicknesses, which vary from one person to another. So, if GSM was confirmed to have tested negative about 7 days after the second test came out positive, it doesn’t make him a liar, but the accuser ignorant about Covid 19 and unfortunately displayed such ignorance on live interview. Prince Charles and UCH Chief Medical Director recovered too within the same time frame.
- THAT GSM BROKE WORLD RECORD FOR FASTEST RECOVERY: The recovery of Governor Seyi Makinde was another case of “luckily” as described by Prince Charles and confirmed by UCH CMD as monitored on national TV. So, the recovery time frame was not peculiar to our Governor and the people of Oyo state, lovers of Engr Seyi Makinde were not surprised because they raised prayer altars and fasted for his uncommon recovery, irrespective of religious believes. WE DON’T KNOW WHAT TRANSPIRED IN YOUR CAMP THAT MADE YOU SO FRUSTRATED THAT HE BECAMED COVID 19 NEGATIVE. If we juxtapose your reaction with that of your colleague that was insisting GSM should officially hand over to his Deputy, we are bound to suspect grievous plots from the APC but we thank God for frustrating your enterprise.
- CONDEMNING THE DELAY OF OYO-SG PALLIATIVE BUT EXCUSING FG INADEQUACIES: I was shocked to hear how Senator Buhari derided the state government for the delay in the palliatives but confirmed no one received any cash transfer in his district from FG, though he belonged to the relevant committees in the Senate. Double standard and speaking from both sides of the mouth in same interview. He went ahead to plead for patience from the people while the FG palliatives tarry but derided the state government that it’s the branding in “Omi Tuntun” that is delaying the state government.
- ON THE RICE DONATION BY FG: When APC stalwarts condemn the rejection of expired rice from FG by Oyo state, I wonder at their rationale; it is that it’s okay to distribute expired rice to the people just because it came from APC-FG or Oyo State should have kept quiet? Partisan overzealousness has prevented many of them from objective reasoning but we will help them; a) Could Oyo State make the Rice expire or it expired after it got to state custody? b) NAFDAC confirmed the particular stock was not certified by the agency. c). Has Customs come up with any proof to confirmed the rice is still consumable and disprove OYSG claim? d). Why has any of the APC stalwarts in Oyo State not approached Customs/FG to retrieve the rice and distribute to their party members? e). Why can’t the same stock be swiftly depatched to another state, since the consignment is okay, or they will just rot in the Customs yard?
- CLAIMING NOT TO PLAY POLITICS: Now, this is where I found most disgusting; claiming not to play politics with the issue and condemning the state government for playing politics with it while all he did on the program was play politics with the pandemic. He is not playing politics but announced he has bought 3 trailer loads twice during the same program. We can’t accuse a politician of playing politics but why deny doing so if you’re sure it’s justifiably done?
Even though not in APC, I loved Senator Fatai Buhari for reasons I can’t explain but yesterday he lost his articulation, statesmanship and compassion on the ground of partisanship which he vehemently condemned on same program. We need statesmen in this time of pandemic, not men who are infected with the 2023 virus already and though profess the emergency of the fight against the pandemic, they are too far from walking the talk.
The fight against Covid 19 is an uncharted path (like GSM would say) and it’s okay to express reservations, critique the approach but it’s premature to pass a judgment yet, when the fight has not ended. Like we say in Yoruba land, “it’s the farmer whose cocoa seedlings survive that is a professional at handling Cocoa seedlings.